Sunday, April 24, 2011

Jerusalem!!

Arrived late last night (3am) after a long trip from Dahab. Border contro took longer and forgot the one hour I lost in time change, so missed the 4:30pm b us to Jerusalem and the next was at 9:30pm. ughhhhhhhhhhh.

When I checked into my hostel I went ahead and went to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre as it was still open for a few hours. Soon it would have too many people and be closed off. The church is believed to be the site where Jesus was crucified and died, as well as holding the tomb in which Christ is buried in.

THe courtyard and church itself is breathtaking, and I was able to find an empty corner to myself to sit and reflect. It was crawling with pilgirms, mainly Russian and very rude to be honest, pushing and shoving, but not like this morning when you couldn't even get inside.

The entire church is illuminated by candlelight and has several different chapels inside, my favorite the one of Mary Magdalene which is said to be the spot on which she met him after his resurrection.

After a bit it was a bit too much for me, too many people, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. I was exhausted and wanted a few hours of shut eye before exploring the city later one.

Will publish more soon, as state before these posts will be shorter due to computer errors.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment